In May, BYD sold 240,220 new energy vehicles (NEVs), representing an increase of 108% compared to last year. This achievement broke BYD’s sales record of 235,197 units in December 2022. The cumulative sales for the first five months of 2023 reached 1,002,591 units, marking a year-on-year increase of 97%. Passenger cars accounted for most of the sales, with 996,476 units sold, reflecting a 97% growth compared to last year.
The production of BYD’s new energy vehicles in May reached an impressive 246,259 units, exhibiting a year-on-year increase of 108%.
Analyzing the sales breakdown, BYD sold 239,092 passenger vehicles in May, reflecting a significant year-on-year increase of 109%. Among these sales, pure electric models accounted for 119,603 units, exhibiting a substantial growth of 124% compared to last year. The cumulative sales of pure electric models in 2023 reached 488,614 units, representing a noteworthy year-on-year increase of 92%. Additionally, plug-in hybrid models achieved impressive sales figures, with 119,040 units sold in May, demonstrating a year-on-year growth of 121%. The cumulative sales of plug-in hybrid models in 2023 totaled 607,862 units, showcasing a remarkable year-on-year increase of 102%.
The company also experienced substantial growth in overseas sales of new energy passenger vehicles, reaching 10,203 units in May 2023. This represents a remarkable year-on-year increase of 470%.
Furthermore, BYD continues to excel in battery production. In May, the company achieved an installed capacity of approximately 11.489GWh for new energy vehicle power and storage batteries. The cumulative installed capacity for 2023 reached an impressive 48.434 GWh, highlighting BYD’s commitment to battery technology and its contribution to the global transition to sustainable energy solutions.
At present, many manufacturers have announced the latest May results. The following summarizes the vehicle delivery/sales data of each brand in May as follows:
- GAC Aion sold 45,003 units in May, up 114% year-on-year.
- Li Auto delivered 28,277 new cars in May, up 146% year-on-year.
- Neta delivered 13,029 units in May, up 18% year-on-year.
- Leap delivered 12,058 units in May, up 19% year-on-year.
- Zeekr Auto delivered 8,678 vehicles in May, up 100% year-on-year.
- Xpeng delivered 7,506 new cars in May, down 25% year-on-year.
- Changan Shenlan delivered 7,021 units in May.
- Nio‘s May deliveries were 6,155 units, down 12% year-on-year.
- AITO delivered 5,629 new vehicles, an increase of 11% year-on-year.